The COVID-19 crisis and subsequent state-imposed economic shutdown has had profound negative consequences for early care and education providers in Pennsylvania and has exposed the fragility of our child care system.
- All Pennsylvania Pre-K Counts and Head Start classrooms are closed
- 80% of Pennsylvania child care providers are closed
In a March 2019 survey, nearly 1/3 of responding providers indicated that they will likely go out of business if closed for more than a month.
A significant loss in child care capacity is:
- Troubling for the present needs of our essential employees
- Crippling for the broader workforce when businesses reopen
- Impacting our youngest learners’ social, emotional and educational gains short and long term
See below for detailed actions lawmakers can take now to save early learning in PA!